Pennsylvania Bronze Company
The Pennsylvania Bronze Company was founded in Philadelphia in 1902 by John Sanderson in an effort to win the bronze contract for the Capitol building. It furnished all the ornate bronze light fixtures within the building, including the chandeliers and sconces in the House, Senate, and Supreme Court Chambers, the large lanterns at all three of the Capitol's west entrances, and the pumpkin ball fixtures throughout the building.
Many of the company's top craftsmen were former employees of the Sterling Bronze Company of New York City — a premier manufacturer of the finest cast and hand-chased fixtures. Several of the fixtures for the Capitol were gold plated, especially for ornate areas, such as the Governor's Reception Room and Lieutenant Governor's suite. Others were coated with a gold-tinted lacquer, a practice which is still commonplace.
The Capitol's ornate bronze fixtures are representative of the best bronze foundries of the day and do much to heighten the grandeur of the building.