Civil War Battle Flag Education Center

Several years ago, the Department of General Services gave notice that the Old Publications Building, the Committee's offsite facility, was to be sold. This began a several year search for new facilities to house both the Capitol's historic artifacts and attic stock materials, as well as Pennsylvania's one-of-a-kind, priceless collection of Civil War battle flags. The flags are the original flags used throughout the Civil War and carried by the soldiers during that conflict. They represent 340,000 (34,000 who died) Pennsylvanians who fought and served in most all battles of the war. These colors were stored in the State arsenal, old Hill's Capitol, old Annex Building, placed in the Main Rotunda after a large parade in 1914, and removed and conserved by the Capitol Preservation Committee in 1985. Since that time they have been viewed by thousands of visitors from as far away as Hawaii, and even visitors from England and Germany.

In the fall of 2018, the Capitol Preservation Committee began the process of constructing a new facility to house the Commonwealth's collection of historic Civil War battle flags. This new, state-of-the-art facility, located at 2221 Forester Street will be open daily for tours, as scheduled. The new flag facility will also incorporate an educational and exhibition area which will highlight important stories of valor involving the colors and bearers. The Pennsylvania battle flag facility serves an important preservation role, ensuring through HVAC, security, and fire suppression upgrades that Pennsylvania's priceless collection of Civil War battle flags will be preserved for future generations.